Phi Beta Delta Honor Society Zeta Alpha Chapter at FIU
Call for New Members
Did you know that FIU has an international honor society? Of course we do. We wouldn’t be international without one. Phi Beta Delta is the first honor society dedicated to recognizing scholarly achievement in international education. Since its founding in 1986, 133 chapters have formed and more than 14,000 members have been installed.
The goals of the society are as follows:
- Recognize the scholarly achievement of those involved in international
- Advance the development of academic-based international programming
- Provide a network on each campus for faculty, staff and international students involved in international endeavors
- Extend the network of members in chapters worldwide
Phi Beta Delta – Zeta Alpha Chapter is seeking nominations for new members. Students must be upper division or graduate level. Undergraduates must hold a 3.2 GPA and graduate students a 3.5 GPA. Nominees must have demonstrated scholarly achievement in the international arena to include:
- International students (F-1 or J-1 visa holders) who have demonstrated high scholastic achievement
- Domestic students (upper division, graduate) who have demonstrated high scholastic achievement in pursuit of academic studies abroad in approved FIU exchange programs participated in comparable international programs where academic relevance can be demonstrated
- Distinguished faculty and staff who have been involved in recognized international endeavors, i.e. research, teaching, service
Affiliation with Phi Beta Delta (PBD) offers recognition of past and continuing activities and achievements in the international arena. Our chapter provides a forum for individuals from various disciplines to meet in the interest of promoting a more enriching, internationally-oriented educational experience for those associated with FIU.
The next induction of new members will be in the spring term in 2013. If you are interested in joining please submit the student information page along with a letter of recommendation from your department to ISSS in GC 355 no later than January 7, 2013. Induction dues will be $60.00. Nominees will be notified by e-mail and dues collected after applications have been approved.
Contact Ted Randall with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.