American higher education is quite expensive compared to that of other countries. This is a fact that you, as international students, should be
aware of.

International students are required to submit proof of sufficient funds to cover educational expenses in the U.S. in order to obtain a SEVS I-20. Having obtained an I-20, signing it and either entering the U.S. or filing a change of status to F-1 you agree to have funds available for the duration of your studies. It is important, therefore, that you responsibly plan and manage your finances.

There are also scholarships and grants from various private institutions and special agencies that international students may be eligible to apply for. But these scholarships and grants will obviously not find you; you will have to find them.

Following are a few areas you can check:

    1. FIU Library
      You can find guides or handbooks on financial assistance, scholarships, or grants in the library’s Reference section. These guides would list different international organizations, American institutions, or even multinational corporations that may offer some form of financial assistance to international students.
    2. Your Academic Department
      Some scholarships, grants or assistantships may be available through your academic departments. Meet with your academic advisor to find out if there’s any in your major field. Scholarships may also be available from the professional industry however, such information may not always be publicized and information could be available through professors in the specific fields. Let your professors know that you’re looking for possible scholarships.
    3. FIU Scholarships
    4. External organizations and resources