Engaging international students through the lenses of Community Engagement Projects
Join ISSS as they guide you through an exciting adventure of learning about volunteerism, helping the community, becoming aware of social issues, and finally learning about the fabric of the United States!
Mission and vision
ICEP mission is to prepare international and domestic students at FIU to be active global citizens who develop global awareness and global perspectives through civic engagement and social entrepreneurship.
ICEP vision is to provide international and domestic students with the opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes while they use their passion in community engagement projects.
- Demonstrate understanding of the concepts: Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), Human Rights, U.S. Volunteerism, International Volunteerism, Poverty, Homelessness Civic Engagement, Global Engagement and active citizenship.
- Ability to act in a supportive manner that recognizes the feelings and needs of our community
- Develop interdependence and social concerns for others
- Become culturally sensitive
- Initiate and develop interactions with different causes
- Recognize and respond to individual needs and cultural biases
- Understand and become aware of various cultures and their impact on society
Have a heart, lend a hand and make a difference
ICEP is a semester commitment that starts every Fall and Spring. It is a great opportunity to learn about local and global issues and become an active citizen. ICEP program is designed in a hybrid mode that involves both virtual and in person activities. Virtual workshops will expand your knowledge in topics such as Sustainable Development Goals, Women's health, Social Justice, Homelessness, Human Rights, Environmental issues. In Person activities, involve service projects and team building activities for all ICEP members.
The application for Spring 2022 open until Sunday, January 16th, 2022
ICEP OverviewICEP is divided into three secitons: Workshops, Service Projects, & Team Building Activities.
- Workshops: Also referred as Global Awareness Leadership Series entails on participating in different workshops to expand your knowledge on social and global issues.
organizations at the national and international levels.
- Service Projects: Could take place in person or remote with non-profit organizations based on their need.
- Team Building Activities: This is where you get to connect with other ICEP students in special events where you get to network, build relationships and friendships.
- ICEP Community Projects and Education workshops are open to all students who get admitted into ICEP
- Service Projects help to connect students with local issues
- Workshops provide students with knowledge on social and global issues
- Limited Virtual Service Projects available for students to connect virtually with local issues on the individual basis
- Applications for the ICEP Engaged Global Citizens Open in the Spring semester for only to ICEP students
- Great opportunity to connect with nonprofit organizations and governments entities on the national level
- ICEP Engaged Global Citizens is a competitive contest that provides selected students with the opportunity to visit Washington DC and connect with different international and non-profit organizations that advocate for global issues
- Students must submit application with an innovative idea to tackle a social/global issue
- Eligibility requirements may apply including but not limited to completing all REQUIRED community engagement projects within ICEP. More details will be provided once applications opens
Benefits of volunteering
- Explore your interest while you support different causes
- Strengthen and develop your skills
- Broaden your horizons by interacting with others
- Enrich yourself with positive actions
- Develop a new support system that cares
- Improve your physical and mental wellbeing
- Experience long-lasting relationships with other peers that share a common goal