- currently be in valid F-1 status
- have completed two semesters of full-time enrollment prior to CPT request
- be registered for a course that requires an internship component
- CPT authorization dates will match the start and end dates for the internship course. (Student cannot start CPT/Internship before the start date of the course or end CPT/Internship after the end date of the course).
- Ph.D. students and students enrolled in a Master’s with thesis option are INELIGIBLE for CPT if they have completed all coursework and are registered for thesis or dissertation credits only.
VERY IMPORTANT: Internships without authorization and without any linkage to a course that carries credit are considered a violation of your F-1 status and your I-20 might be terminated due to unauthorized employment even if the internship is unpaid.
Other considerations regarding CPT:
- CPT is restricted to locations within driving distance of MMC campus because USCIS requires physical presence at FIU during the fall and spring semesters.
- Summer internships may be in other geographical locations in the U.S., EXCEPT, if you plan to graduate in the summer, CPT is restricted to locations within driving distance of MMC campus.
- If CPT is to be in the final semester in which a student has applied for graduation, including summer, the training site must be within driving distance of MMC campus. In addition, the student must also be enrolled in an in-person/on-campus or hybrid class – this should be an elective or required course for graduation, and the course must run the entire semester (for example a ssession C class or combination of session A and B). Students may not enroll in session A only.
A violation of these rules may lead to the termination of your immigration status.
Fall and Spring Semesters - CPT is restricted to locations within driving distance of MMC because USCIS requires physical presence at FIU during the fall and spring semesters.
Summer Internships - CPT may be in other geographical locations in the US, UNLESS, summer is your semester of completion of program/graduation (see below).
Final Semester - If CPT is to be in the final semester in which a student has applied for graduation, including summer, the training site must be within driving distance of MMC. In addition, the student must also be enrolled in an in-person/on-campus or hybrid class – this course should count toward your degree program (must close out a requirement in your Panther Degree Audit, and the course must be concurrent with the entire length of the internship.
CPT is not guaranteed until reviewed and approved by ISSS.
Apply for CPT
New requests for CPT authorization will be processed by ISSS at the end of each semester. Students may submit CPT requests after enrollment in the internship, practicum or coop class for the upcoming semester.
- Complete Online CPT Training Workshop
- Compile ALL required documents as per the Workshop and the CPT Checklist
- Upload all the documents on the checklist to the ISSS E-Forms Portal
- Meet with ISSS advisor to get the approval for CPT
- Once all the documents the ISSS Portal will allow you to schedule an appointment with an advisor to review your application. (allow 24-48 hours for a response).
- Receive a new I-20 (with CPT noted)
- Get a Social Security Number (if you do not have one) Use this sample letter.
- If you already have a SSN, then you will only need an Employment Letter. See this sample letter.
- You can ONLY start your CPT/Internship ONCE you have been approved by ISSS and you have a SSN.