Do you want to work on campus?

On-campus employment is a benefit available to all students maintaining valid F1 status. It is not necessary to obtain special work authorization from USCIS to work on-campus; however, you must obtain an ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT CERTIFICATION signed by an ISSS advisor to submit to Human Resources.

If you are a Graduate Assistant (GA) you must also seek On Campous Employment Certification.

Please review the F-1 On-Campus Employment Online Information to make sure you understand all the policies and regulations on this type of employment.

Also, to browse open job opportunities and specific employment instructions that are applicable to all students, visit the Student Employment website.

What is the process to get on-campus employment certification?

Follow the steps below to obtain an ISSS On-campus Employment approval

  1. Find a job on-campus that meets the previous page definition.
  2. Once hired for the job, access the FIU ISSS Portal and submit a request for On-campus Employment Certification.
  3. If you need a Social Security letter, you must submit a letter/memo from the department/office that hired you (See this sample Social Security letter ).
  4. Make sure that ISSS has copies of your required documents (SEVIS I-20, valid passport, F-1 visa and Form I-94).
  5. ISSS will review your immigration and academic records and if you are confirmed to be in valid F-1 status, the certification will be issued. It takes at least 5-7 business days to process your request (longer during peak times).
  6. Your On-campus Employment Certification from ISSS will be sent to you via email for you to submit it with your complete Sign-On packet to FIU Human Resources or the appropriate personnel handling hiring and sign-on in the department/office where you will be working.


  • International students can work a maximum of 20 hours a week in the Fall and Spring semesters (part-time)
  • During the summer and school breaks, international students are allowed to work up to a maximum of 30 hours per week

International students are NOT allowed to work on campus:

  • once their degree has been completed
  • during the 60-day grace period
  • after completing SEVIS transfer out